Thursday, July 29, 2010

The 20 year old mirror

I have the pleasure of hosting my two nephews next week. As we're going to be spending a lot of time at the pool, I thought I'd arrange for some swim lessons for them. They live on a farm, so they're more skilled at goat herding and egg candling than swimming. So, after talking to the girls' swim coaches, I was referred to one very handsome lifeguard to teach the boys. Cha-ching! Hot Lifeguard will be at my beck and call! Sort of. Anyway, Hot Lifeguard asked for my number so he could call me with his schedule because he's taking a class (yes, he's that young). I told him, whatever, he could call me or text me if it's easier. His response: "Yeah, I usually like to call the moms, because, you know, sometimes they..." and he kind of trailed off and looked at me knowingly. "I know how to text! My phone has a keyboard!" And Hot Lifeguard just smiled and nodded, "yeah, you're a cool mom." So, after a few more minutes of chit-chat about my nephews, he leaves with, "okay, I'll call you tomorrow." Uggh. Hot Lifeguard talked to me like I talk to my parents, pitying them when they talk about their computers or phones. Hot Lifeguard, who wears his swim trunks alarmingly low, does not wish to throw himself at the temple of my wisdom, experience, and mature beauty. Hot Lifeguard thinks I'm old. This is how 20 year olds see me. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment