Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Seasonal Entry - The Polar Vortex

The polar vortex released its hold on the area.  I can tell because my food stores are low; both pantry and perishable.  I, like others in the nation, went to the grocery store and stocked up on staples when I heard that we were colder than Antarctica.

In this way, I am not a good representative sample of the Chaldean community: According to our rulebook, at any given moment, all Chaldeans should be ready to feed fifty or more people.  The idea that one needs to "stock up on food" implies that you didn't have enough food to begin with. Outrageous.

All over town, Chaldeans laugh at the "Americans" who don't have enough food to get through three days (or a month or two) of impassable roads.
My husband reminded me today that this Chaldean phenomenon is made possible by the fact that Chaldeans have at least one extra refrigerator in the garage.  Okay, fine, this is a stereotype.  Sometimes the extra refrigerator is in the basement, like mine :)  

Anecdotal evidence:  My aunt and uncle were moving into their house.  As is the norm, the neighbors look to see who's moving in.  One of the kids observing shouted to his mother, "The new people are Chaldean!  They have a refrigerator in the garage!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment