Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zena...our fallen angel

Zena is our little rascal. She has the face of an angel and the manners of a she-devil. If you look up the definition of sass, there'll be a picture of her, pouting w/hands on hips.

The girls have been brought up to say prayers at bedtime. Along with the standards, they are also asked to say a "Please God...," a "thank you, God..." and a "God bless..." If the occasion calls for it, they are also required to say a "Sorry, God" prayer.

Zena says a lot of "Sorry, God" prayers. Last night, she had three: "Sorry, God for crying at dance camp, sorry, God for being picky, and Sorry, God for tricking my teacher (note: this is an ongoing one)." After she said her prayers, she paused, and said, "what, what was that?" and then smirked and reported that, "He says it's okay."

Thinking this a funny joke, and totally typical of Zena, I retold it to my mom, who looked shocked and then looked as though Zena had actually heard the voice of God assuring her it was okay to be a picky eater. My mom looked at Zena with new admiration, and I had to stop my mother from telling my dad the story. She looked disappointed, but since Dad is always looking for a way to prove that God is communicating with him, she knows that this will just fuel the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment